Tonight’s dinner is pulled chicken sandwiches, courtesy of Dinner: A Love Story. I made one of her barbecue sauces and the pickled onions (though I didn’t have any jalapenos). I drew the line at slaw, because it just isn’t something I enjoy very much – though if I made this for company, I would probably try her slaw recipe as well. I served it on Trader Joe’s cute mini hamburger buns, so the kiddo could just have 1 and adults could have seconds if desired, and we enjoyed some sliced watermelon on the side. No greens – but I promise I had a big salad for lunch!
Things I liked about this recipe:
- I started cooking around 6, and had dinner on the table by shortly after 7 – and that included making even the bbq sauce from scratch. Not too shabby.
- It wasn’t overly tomato-y. I don’t love really red barbecue sauces.
- It was chicken breast, so it wasn’t as fatty/filling as some pork bbq can be.
- She was right, the pickled red onions were a great addition.
- I enjoyed it.
- The kid didn’t like it much. Granted his tastes just keep getting pickier, and he’d eat chicken nuggets every night if he could, but I was really hoping that he’d actually like this one.
- Husband thought it was too….something. Vinegary? Smoky? Something he couldn’t put his finger on. He did like it, but he didn’t love it.
So I don’t know that I’ll be making it again, but only because it makes a lot and I don’t see myself eating all those leftovers. But I would recommend it to someone looking for a change from your average pulled pork bbq.